International Facilities Management Association (IFMA)
Founded in 1980, IFMA is the world’s largest and most widely recognized international association for facility management professionals, supporting 24,000 members in 105 countries.
This diverse membership participates in focused component groups equipped to address their unique situations by region (133 chapters), industry (councils) and areas of interest (communities). Together they manage more than 78 billion square feet of property and annually purchase more than US$526 billion in products and services.
Some of the communities, councils & alliances that are active within IFMA includes the following:
- 01) Academic Facilities Council,
02) Airport Facilities Council,
03) Banking Institutions & Credit Unions council,
04) City & Country Clubs Council,
05) Corporate Facilities Council,
06) Environmental Health & Safety Council,
07) FM Consultants Council,
08) Food Service & Restaurant Council,
09) Health Care Institute,
10) Legal Industry Council,
11) Manufacturing, Industrial and Logistics council,
12) Museums/Cultural Institutions Council,
13) Public Sector Facilities Council,
14) Religious Facilities Council,
15) Research & Development Facilities council,
16) Utilities council,
17) Business Leadership, Finance & Communication Community,
18) Environmental Stewardship Utilities & Sustainability,
19) Information Technology Community
20) Operations & Maintenance Health & Safety Community,
21) Real Estate Advisory and Leadership Community,
22) Workplace Evolutionaries (WE) Community,
23) *BIM Lifecycle Professionals,
24) *Casino and Gaming Facilities Professionals,
25) *Contact Center Facilities Professionals,
26) *Data Center Facilities Professionals,
27) *Hospitality FM & Engineering,
28) *Transportation FM Professionals,
29) *Strategic Retail Facilities Professionals
To meet its mission to “advance the facility management profession by providing exceptional services, products, resources and opportunities,” on an annual basis IFMA:
- Certifies facility managers through three credentialing programs.
- Produces World Workplace, the world’s largest facility management conference and exposition, and Facility Fusion, a more intimate gathering of FM professionals with powerful networking and a fusion of education, leadership training, best practices and an exposition.
- Conducts research that strengthens the knowledge and skills of FM professionals while advancing the FM profession.
- Provides a wide range of educational courses from entry-level programs to those for highly experienced facility managers.
- Is active in the social media community via LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Flickr.
- Serve as the resource and representative for facility management.
- Advance the facility management profession.
IFMA Core Values
We believe that working together toward a common goal is essential to the success of the association.
We encourage open and frequent dialogue among IFMA staff and the facility management community focused on active listening and earnest response.
IFMA staff members are not only guided by the strategy and values, but are also guided by their own conscience and adhere to a disciplined set of personal principles.
We recognize the importance of excellence in ourselves and to the association. We develop and deliver information, products and services to standards of the highest quality.
We encourage innovation to improve all the ways in which the association pursues its mission.
We uphold honesty, ethical practices and environmental responsibility in our involvement with staff, facility management practitioners, business partners, and facility and industry issues.
We encourage knowledge sharing as a result of our belief that all of us are smarter and more productive than any one of us.
We inspire each other to achieve and grow through a shared vision and passion to excel.
We support the development of our people, association and profession through positive relationships, dynamic synergies and innovative growth opportunities.
We recognize and celebrate the accomplishments of our people, the association’s greatest asset.
We understand that we are stewards of the facility management profession and the resources entrusted to the association by its members.
What is Facilities Management
Facility management is a profession that encompasses multiple disciplines to ensure functionality of the built environment by integrating people, place, process and technology.
The Core Competencies of Facility Management
In 2016, a global job task analysis (GJTA) defined 11 core competencies.
FM KEY COMPETENCIES
02) Risk management,
04) Finance and Business,
05) Occupancy and Human Factors,
06) Leadership and Strategy,
07) Operations and Maintenance,
08) Project Management,
09) Performance and Quality,
10) Real Estate,
11) Information and Technology Management
Interesting resource to know what FM’s do. Click HERE to know more.
Facilities Management in Singapore
IFMA (Singapore Chapter) has been working actively with the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) of Singapore. In April 2010 during the inaugural BCAA-IFMA FM Conference, a memorandum of understanding was signed between CEO IFMA, Mr Tony Keane and CEO BCA, Dr John Keung, to explore further opportunities for Facility Managers to participate in endeavours for our building and construction industry.
How to join IFMA?
Click on the following link to access our online application.
For membership enquiries, please email email@example.com